CPR Station Heritage Site
The [former] Canadian Pacific Railway Station at Brandon is a two-storey, Beaux-Arts style railway station built in 1911-1912.
It is located at the northern edge of the city of Brandon’s original centre.
The Canadian Pacific Railway Station (CPR) illustrates Brandon’s important position both within the economy of western Canada and within the western section of the CPR.
As a divisional point on the CPR main line, Brandon became an administrative, freight, and repair headquarters for both the main line and regional branch lines.
It grew to be a major city by virtue of the railway and the railway-dependent industry and commerce that developed in the rich agricultural hinterland of Southwestern Manitoba.
The Brandon railway station typifies the Beaux-Arts style in its rigorous symmetry, classical detailing, careful siting, and monumental presence.
The Canadian Pacific Railway Station in Brandon is among the three largest and most impressive CPR stations still existing in Manitoba.
These kinds of stations, denoted First Class by the company, were located at important business and divisional points, and were intended to symbolize the company’s wealth and sophistication.
The choice of the Beaux-Arts classical style for Brandon’s 1911 station, executed in grey stone and buff brick, indicates the expectation of Brandon’s importance as a principal city of the province.
This building is a Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site.
The former CPR Station is now home to Westman Immigrant Services.
WIS is a community based charitable organization that assists immigrants and new Canadians by providing three core services:
English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes
Brandon Community Language Centre Interpreter services.
Westman Immigrant Services partners with other organizations to provide expertise in addressing service gaps for immigrants within the broader community.