Indie saying no indie

Brandon Normal School Heritage Site

Normal School MB Historic Resources Branch

The Normal School Building, at 1129 Queens Avenue, is now the provincial Agricultural Extension Centre. photo: Manitoba Historic Resources Branch

The handsome Brandon Normal School, with its adjoining modern addition, occupies a prominent site in south Brandon.

Built in 1912-13, the two-storey brick structure is surrounded by expansive grassed grounds, large stands of trees and a long circular drive to its north.

Heritage Value

The Brandon Normal School is an expressive Neo-Classical-style building designed by Provincial Architect Victor Horwood.

It is one of four original teacher-training institutions built in Manitoba between 1903 and 1913.

It is the only remaining one outside Winnipeg.

Established to serve the needs of southwestern Manitoba, the Brandon facility was instrumental over three decades in preparing teachers to work in rural environments.


Key elements of the Brandon Normal School’s classical design include:

• the building’s simplified rectangular shape

flat roofline with low parapet, flat wall surfaces faced with light brown brick

symmetrically composed north facade with projecting pedimented frontispiece

heavily rusticated stone foundation

lintelled rectangular-shaped door and window openings

• the one-storey south-facing solarium with a tall brick chimney

• richly decorated interior public spaces with:

panelled ceilings, quarter-cut oak wainscotting and door surrounds

east-side marble-tread staircase and wrought-iron balustrade

terrazzo floors, vaulted ceiling and proscenium arch over the stage in the assembly hall,

reading room brick fireplace

– Canada’s Historic Places

Benjamin J. Hales was the first principal of the Brandon’s Normal School.

He retired in 1938, with an established reputation as an educator, author and naturalist.

He founded the B.J. Hales Museum of Natural History which is now part of the Brandon General Museum.

The school was a centre for rural teaching instruction until 1943 when the building was occupied by the Department of National Defence during World War II.

The building was turned over to the Manitoba Department of Agriculture in 1946 for its southwestern operations.

It became the Agricultural Extension Centre in 1959.

The building was designated a Manitoba Provincial Heritage site in 1985

Manitoba Historic Resources Branch



<div  style='height:1px; margin-top:-32px'  class='hr hr-invisible  '><span class='hr-inner ' ><span class='hr-inner-style'></span></span></div> Enjoy the

Gala Slacks Super 120’s

• 100% Wool. Lined to the knee.
• Available in Black, Grey, Navy and Taupe.
• Waist Sizes: 30 inches through 44 inches.
• Made in Canada

A slice of cityscape

snowy sportsplex Weiming Zhoa

Sportsplex surrounded by snow

Artist: Weiming Zhao


Foster Lounge single Brandon Business Interiors office furniture

 Foster Lounge Single

Influenced by residential and hospitality design, Foster® Lounge furniture offers a deeper, wider seat and superior comfort.


Summerland 3030BHGS Pik A Dilly RV Centre.jpg

A better way to camp!